Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My Summer


At the beginning of last summer(09) Robert and I have decided that we would attempt an Olympic Triathlon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The Olympic Triathlon consists of a .98 mile swim, 24.8 bike, finished by 6.2 mile bike. Honestly, it was the most gratifying feelings to be able to make a difference in peoples life's. Knowing that I was a part of something much bigger than me, to know that I could help find a cure. Ultimatly to be able to help the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society rise more money.
All this was going fine and dandy up until Saturday at one our group practices. After the first open water swim of the season and about 5 min.s into our 40 min. run when I fell and fractured 3 digits in my left hand. Which put me out of commisson for the rest of the season.
Meanwhile, during the 6 weeks we trained together we also had a visit from his two children, Jack and Trey. Which kept us very busy with hikes in Muir Woods, days at Stinson Beach, visits to Monterey Bay Aquarium and weekends down in LA, these boys kept us busy.
But one of my favorite experiences we encountered during their trip was the Hot Air Ballon ride. This day July 5th, stood out the most for me. First we had to be at the Ballon by 5:45 to help blow it up. Once the huge silk ballon was finally full we where able to get in the basket. After Robert, Jack, Trey, myself and the pilot were all abroad. Slowly the rainbow colored ballon started to rise with the encouragement of the touch hissing loudly above our heads. What felt like thousands of feet in the air was merely hundreds, while the view stretched for miles. After our ballon ride landed Robert and I were off to LA.
Later on, at small cafe in Pasadena we meet up with Lavone and Lavina for lunch. Then we ending up shopping and tasting wine for the rest of the afternoon. After a long day of shopping, Robert and I invited them to a burlesque circus show that night. Which they happily agreed to. Which Aunt Lavina might have not realized what she was getting herself into. The Circus theme was how life continued after death in the graveyard. And the performers were barely dressed. Soon after the show we realize that somebody has miss placed the keys to my car. After Robert's walk of shame back to the apartment to get the spare keys. We were finally able to drive the car home and get some much needed sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment